Codes
WiiRd forum
April 27, 2024, 10:12:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on the new server

Update 4.3 - do NOT update!
Gecko 1.9.3.1
Should I get a USB Gecko, I wanna hack?
How do I use my USB Gecko
Where can I get WiiRd?

Home   CODE DATABASE GAMEHACKING Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dolphin switches to official Gecko code handler  (Read 6352 times)
biolizard89
Hacker

passport.10.biolizard89@spamgourmet.com biolizard89 biolizard89
« on: January 03, 2012, 07:42:43 PM »

Good news for hackers who want their codes to work in Dolphin: Dolphin has scrapped their crappy emulated code handler in favor of the official GeckoOS 1.9.3.1 code handler.  This means that it is no longer necessary to deal with the emulated handler's ASM code type quirks; Gecko codes should now "just work" in Dolphin.  So, to all the code hackers out there: if someone with Dolphin complains about your codes not working with the emulated handler, tell them to upgrade to the latest Dolphin.

Props to the Dolphin developers for implementing this!
toonlink444
Hacker

Get Real Kid!!

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »

That's good news. I can now test codes away from the wii.

In the begining there was nothing. Then it exploded
New blog!! Check it out for hacking Smash Bros Brawl!! http://letshackblank.blogspot.com/
shadowofchaos
Random Generic Masochist
Hacker

見つけるといいね・・・

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:04:25 AM »

Oh thank goodness. Time to throw out my excel "calculator" spreadsheet for Radiant Dawn.

shadowofchaos
Random Generic Masochist
Hacker

見つけるといいね・・・

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »

Sorry for the necropost, but since it's a forum announcements topic anyway...

What version exactly did they implement this?

Because I've been getting complaints that people have actually upgraded and codes for Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn supposedly don't work because the locations in memory are still offset by a certain amount?

Has anyone else tested it for other games?

Arudo
Crazier-than-thou

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ щ(゚Д゚щ)

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:45:57 PM »

Sorry for the necropost, but since it's a forum announcements topic anyway...

What version exactly did they implement this?

Because I've been getting complaints that people have actually upgraded and codes for Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn supposedly don't work because the locations in memory are still offset by a certain amount?

Has anyone else tested it for other games?

Isn't the thing with Fire Emblem the whole 'screen settings' offset between 4:3 and 16:9?

-Crazy Hacker Hates You All (definitely)-

ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Do NOT PM me about Code Requests

Pro-tip: Hit the Applaud Button

Oh? Failed to read the rules? You're already dead.
shadowofchaos
Random Generic Masochist
Hacker

見つけるといいね・・・

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:35 AM »

Isn't the thing with Fire Emblem the whole 'screen settings' offset between 4:3 and 16:9?

Despite that, I checked the offsets when it's on Dolphin for my version. That's not the difference.

But I guess this is a derp moment for me. I never asked those people complaining to me if they were on widescreen mode on Dolphin as well.

biolizard89
Hacker

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 04:08:54 AM »

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was just hacking around with Dolphin (a rare occurrence for me, since I have a crappy CPU), and noticed that they seem to execute the code handler differently from an actual GameCube or Wii.  GeckoOS normally hooks a specific function in the game, and the code handler runs whenever that function runs.  I can't be sure, but it looks like Dolphin is just pausing the game ~60 times per second, running the code handler in whatever context happened to be present, and resuming the game.  Obviously, this results in different behavior than GeckoOS for some codes.  Most likely the best way to fix this (short of Dolphin doing proper hooks) is to use C2/D2 codes instead of RAM write codes.

Hopefully this will save other hackers some grief.
Macopride64

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 03:50:32 AM »

The new code handler is garbage. It doesn't seem to be the same Gecko's. When using string write, Dolphin writes more than the entered amount. Has anyone else had this problem?
biolizard89
Hacker

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 07:30:58 AM »

The new code handler is garbage. It doesn't seem to be the same Gecko's. When using string write, Dolphin writes more than the entered amount. Has anyone else had this problem?
I can tell you that the Dolphin code handler is identical to the debugger 1931 handler in NeoGamma.  (Same size and same md5 hash.)  Any difference between their behaviors is probably a result of the context in which they are executed (as I said above), or maybe an emulation bug (less likely).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: