Codes
WiiRd forum
March 28, 2024, 11:54:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on the new server

Update 4.3 - do NOT update!
Gecko 1.9.3.1
Should I get a USB Gecko, I wanna hack?
How do I use my USB Gecko
Where can I get WiiRd?

Home   CODE DATABASE GAMEHACKING Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Wii SD Card Reader - Please Help  (Read 4191 times)
Sharkbyte
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:21:41 AM »

This is april fools day, but it is no fool that i am back after 4 months of being offline and being gone from the scene. I have come back to ask if anyone can give me advice on how to fix an SD card reader or where I can go to buy one. Ebay is sold out. I'm not sure that if I could even find one that I would be able to completely desolder the broken sd card reader to get the new one in on my own without screwing something else up.

So I am asking if anyone has any knowledge of this so I can get my Wii working again. I'm also asking if anyone would be willing to repair it if I ship it off and I'll be willing to be you good with paypal as long as someone experienced with hardmods, soldering, etc. can fix it so my wii can read sd cards correctly again and not have write protection either. Thanks in advance if anyone can as any help is greatly appreciated.

I have 2 videos of this in more details. Video 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9BKk5aZqNU

Video 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4rVWu4tVcg

Video 2 has closer visuals and a few more details about the issue.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:10:04 AM by Arudo » Logged
Clay10
Clayton
Hacker

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:58:00 AM »

If you don't find anything to solve the card reader problem, you can use a USB in the same way as the sd card.  You just need to copy over the folder structure of the sd card root to the USB flash drive root. The homebrew channel should read everything as of it was from an sd card.

biolizard89
Hacker

passport.10.biolizard89@spamgourmet.com biolizard89 biolizard89
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:42 PM »

If you don't find anything to solve the card reader problem, you can use a USB in the same way as the sd card.  You just need to copy over the folder structure of the sd card root to the USB flash drive root. The homebrew channel should read everything as of it was from an sd card.

yeaaaaaaaah, i'm not doing that. I want my wii fully functional and also so I can copy the games i bought from the shop channel to and from my wii. The apps I tried 5 months ago would NOT work to do that so I could play the games I bought from the shop channel.
Would something like UNEEK do what you want?  Not sure if it can simulate an SD card, but worth a look.
biolizard89
Hacker

passport.10.biolizard89@spamgourmet.com biolizard89 biolizard89
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »

Would something like UNEEK do what you want?  Not sure if it can simulate an SD card, but worth a look.

No, And I've tried all that other softmod shit and it all fails. I tried this shit 5 months ago and it failed as well as all those damn NAND dumpers.

Sad

Since nobody can help me with my wii, then i can't help anyone else with codes/hackin help. I'm probably going to leave the scene again since I can't seem to get my wii fixed or anyone else that is willing to help hardmod my wii or suggestions on how to fix that sd card reader. This time I might leave for 6 months to a year or forever depending on if i  can get this damn sd card reader fixed cause i had a ton of games on sd cards that i downloaded and can't ever get back! -_-  Angry Evil angry
What's on your SD card that you need?  If it's VC/WiiWare games, presumably you could just use WADs from a USB drive.  (In my opinion, using WADs is perfectly justified when you already paid for the games and a hardware issue is preventing you from accessing them through "legit" channels.)  If it's anything homebrew-related, a USB drive should work just as well with most homebrew.  Am I misunderstanding your situation?
dcx2
Computer Engineer
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:24:47 AM »

Surface mount stuff is a bitch to remove.  Basically, you destroy the existing part and then desolder each pad individually (without a hot air gun you can't melt all the pads simultaneously).  Make sure you have some flux to keep the contacts clean, and a solder sucker (some solder wick wouldn't hurt as a backup, sometimes a solder sucker can't get it all).  You also need a good iron, something that hits like 700 degrees F.

Once you get the old one removed, soldering the new one in place shouldn't be too hard.  If you don't normally fix electronics there's a good chance you can mess it up more.

You may want to see if you can just find a whole new Wii motherboard.  iFixit has a guide on replacing the mobo.  http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-Nintendo-Wii-Motherboard/3460/1

Fake Code Spammer
Coder
Banned

I make fake codes and spam them (or try to)

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »

This might be an odd question but... How can a SD card reader break? Seems obsurd.
Fake Code Spammer
Coder
Banned

I make fake codes and spam them (or try to)

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:31:41 AM »

Well I hope it gets fixed SharkByte
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: