Codes
WiiRd forum
April 29, 2024, 12:05:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on the new server

Update 4.3 - do NOT update!
Gecko 1.9.3.1
Should I get a USB Gecko, I wanna hack?
How do I use my USB Gecko
Where can I get WiiRd?

Home   CODE DATABASE GAMEHACKING Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Source Code for gecko engine (wii side)?  (Read 2725 times)
giantpune
Hacker

« on: December 19, 2009, 02:23:41 AM »

I am looking for the source code for the kenobiwii handler which is copied into wii memory by the wii before a game is started.  specifically i want to see what needs to be done to get homebrew to boot with it.  i have tried a few different things and i cant get everything to work like it should.i really dont care if its the new or old engine, since i really dont need 8000 lines of cheat codes.  i just want to view the memory and take screenshots (and cheat at homebrew games).
Link
that dev there

I hate everyone in this community. Except for you!

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 06:58:13 AM »

http://code.google.com/p/usbgecko/source/browse/trunk/Gecko_src/code%20handler/codehandler.s

http://code.google.com/p/geckodownloads/downloads/list

That's the code handler.. it does not say though how it is included into game code, it will give you an idea though about the handler itself!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:43:28 PM by dcx2 » Logged

giantpune
Hacker

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »

damn.  i was hoping for c or c++.  looks like its time for me to learn a bit of asm.
Romaap
Hacker
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:18:55 AM »

ASM is fairly easy if you have experience with other programming languages.
giantpune
Hacker

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 05:58:49 AM »

well, im half way there.  i got a function to dump the framebuffer or to convert it to a png and dump it if the project is linked with pngu.  now for that pesky memory viewing...
brkirch
Hacker

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »

The code for debugging homebrew is already mostly there, you just need to:
1. Set "Gecko Pause Start" to "YES".
2. Use geckoload.exe to transfer a DOL executable to Gecko OS.
3. Use WiiRD to manually hook the DOL executable.

You will probably need to disassemble the homebrew executable on your PC to find a good location to hook from, but if you have access to the source code for the homebrew you want to debug then I would recommend compiling it and using the ELF file for finding the memory address to hook from and the DOL file for loading onto the Wii.  The reason there isn't a hook for homebrew yet is because there are a lot of variations between the code generated from different versions of devkitpro so it is difficult to find code that is common between all homebrew executables and executes often.

conanac
Hacker

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 04:11:32 AM »

I am also interested to learn this. Does anyone have an example how to find memory address in a wiibrew application to put a hook from (the last step in brkirch posting)? I have developed wiibrew applications: e.g. turnip and DiiLC, and it would be nice if I could run them through geckoos and then be able to take screenshots or seeing how the applications run within geckoos.

Thanks in advance.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: