Codes
WiiRd forum
March 28, 2024, 06:37:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on the new server

Update 4.3 - do NOT update!
Gecko 1.9.3.1
Should I get a USB Gecko, I wanna hack?
How do I use my USB Gecko
Where can I get WiiRd?

Home   CODE DATABASE GAMEHACKING Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use a USB Gecko in Gamecube mode  (Read 40442 times)
hawkeye2777
Hacker

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 10:11:45 PM »

Quick question, has anyone managed to run Gamecube Gecko OS on a Gamecube using Datel's SD Media Launcher? It doesn't seem to work correctly for me (NTSC Gamecube). However, it does work fine on my Wii. Any ideas?

EDIT: I should also mention that I have managed to load Gecko OS on its own, but I cannot load it with the USB Gecko connected in Slot B.

either try biolizard's suggestion or insert the USB Gecko when Gecko OS already runs.. you could even insert the USB Gecko once the game has already started.. WiiRd should run.. if you want to dump games.. just insert the USB Gecko when Gecko OS is already running

Oh, so you can put the USB Gecko in after Gecko OS has already started? Before, I thought the green gecko icon in the corner had to be green for WiiRd to recognize that the USB Gecko is inserted. If you can, then I can probably use it on a Gamecube as well.

Currently "retired" from hacking codes.
Igglyboo
The Greatest
Hacker

The Greatest

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 11:40:57 PM »

Gecko OS hooks whether a usb gecko is connected or not.

Link
that dev there

I hate everyone in this community. Except for you!

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 07:44:34 AM »

Just a quick update.. I am getting messages about GCBooter all the time.

To make it short:

GCBooter does not work!

Now don't blame the author for anything. It's not his fault really or a programming mistake it's Wii design. He's patching MIOS. MIOS normally only boots a game using the DVD interface ( /dev/di ). What he did.. he relocated the DVD Interface to a memory where a DOL file is stored. Unfortunately once the DOL file is loaded the Wii is already in Gamecube mode.. a switch back is not possible, BC does not allow that. Thus homebrew is unable to access the DVD drive as it's being forwarded to the memory spot of the DOL.

A fix for that is gonna be very very difficult!

biolizard89
Hacker

passport.10.biolizard89@spamgourmet.com biolizard89 biolizard89
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 07:09:56 PM »

Just a quick update.. I am getting messages about GCBooter all the time.

To make it short:

GCBooter does not work!

Now don't blame the author for anything. It's not his fault really or a programming mistake it's Wii design. He's patching MIOS. MIOS normally only boots a game using the DVD interface ( /dev/di ). What he did.. he relocated the DVD Interface to a memory where a DOL file is stored. Unfortunately once the DOL file is loaded the Wii is already in Gamecube mode.. a switch back is not possible, BC does not allow that. Thus homebrew is unable to access the DVD drive as it's being forwarded to the memory spot of the DOL.

A fix for that is gonna be very very difficult!
Hmm, would it be possible to patch MIOS to boot DVD-R's, instead of worrying about booting something that isn't on the DVD drive?  That way, people could just burn the GeckoOS .iso.  Since booting DVD-R's seems to be possible in Wii mode, has anyone talked to the backup loader people about investigating getting GameCube backups to boot through a softmod?  Sounds like it could be easier than dealing with the problem you described.
Igglyboo
The Greatest
Hacker

The Greatest

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »

Probably, but patching the MIOS to run dvd-r's would open the door for a lot of piracy.

biolizard89
Hacker

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 08:27:55 PM »

Probably, but patching the MIOS to run dvd-r's would open the door for a lot of piracy.
You are correct of course, but I consider that a minimal issue, given that most GameCube games are no longer being sold new and can be bought for ~$5 on eBay.  Not much damage done to developer profits, really.  And I also dislike the idea of not implementing useful features due to the possibility of abuse, especially when the feature is otherwise useful and the abuse potential is not very big.  Piracy sucks, I just don't consider it a big deal here.
hetoan2
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 09:03:07 PM »

just a regular cIOS could allow you to run gc games, but i'm positive it'd need a separate loader in order to load backups, or a modified system menu that would do the same thing

also. nintendo is not producing any more gamecube games. All games are bought by the store and then redistributed at this point. try and find 1 new game to prove me wrong. (at least at my gamestop i was told that they purchased all previously new games and put as used to try and sell)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 09:06:06 PM by hetoan2 » Logged
Igglyboo
The Greatest
Hacker

The Greatest

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:47:45 PM »

You would need a cMIOS, GC mode does not use IOS's.

Link
that dev there

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 07:35:20 AM »

You would need a cMIOS, GC mode does not use IOS's.

You're both correct.. MIOS technically is nothing else but an IOS.. it's just simulating Gamecube commands!

Garonne

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 11:34:45 AM »

Hum... Maybe it's because of me, but I can't get my WiiRD running with my USB Gecko when I play GC-Games.

I've got a patched Wii (WiiKey 1.9S) and the GeckoOS 1.06d ISO has been burned to a 1.4GB DVD, as supposed.
My Wii does load the GeckoOS, and everything seems just fine.
My Wii does start the game, too (Pikmin, in this case), but WiiRD is unable to connect to my Wii (or the game) anymore.
There is no response from the USB Gecko.

What's my mistake?

Why is my USB Gecko not responding anymore?

Doesn't seem to work  on my GameCube eighter... GeckoOS starts, but when I try to run a game the GC usually crashes or doesn't recognize the disc at all...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:36:32 PM by Garonne » Logged
agrs700
Spanish wiird hacker
Hacker

Btw, the world will be mine soon *evil laugh*

agrs700@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 11:58:15 PM »

Hey, what do u say about this?
 http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Gamecube_Homebrew_Launcher

should it work?

Click here to level up my brawl card

Hacking status:(Pal)
- None
biolizard89
Hacker

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 12:10:13 AM »

Hey, what do u say about this?
 http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Gamecube_Homebrew_Launcher

should it work?

I notice the Gamecube Homebrew launcher wii app isn't included in this list. Is it because it doesn't work?

absolutely correct, Gamecube Homebrew Launcher can run Gecko OS but Gecko OS can't access the DVD drive then.

Amazing the things you can find out by reading the thread before posting....
Lunar
Hacker

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 04:53:41 AM »

Btw guys, you can find out how to use SDload Here http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:55:13 AM by Lunar » Logged

Link
that dev there

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 10:01:09 AM »

@Lunar: I edited the front page and linked to the SDLoad Wiki entries!

Thomgame
French
Hacker

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 08:52:20 PM »

yes GeckoOS Gamecube says : Error No DVD, but a DVD is in the wii  huh

When i launch it with the SD Media Launcher Disk, no problem the DVD is reading perfectly.  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: