Codes
WiiRd forum
March 28, 2024, 07:30:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on the new server

Update 4.3 - do NOT update!
Gecko 1.9.3.1
Should I get a USB Gecko, I wanna hack?
How do I use my USB Gecko
Where can I get WiiRd?

Home   CODE DATABASE GAMEHACKING Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use a USB Gecko in Gamecube mode  (Read 40443 times)
Link
that dev there

I hate everyone in this community. Except for you!

« on: November 24, 2008, 06:43:55 AM »

On Gamecube:

2 ways:

Solution A (requires SD Gecko or any other SD card adapter):
-use an Action Replay
-use the SD Load code to boot your SD card (see http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload )
-run Gecko OS 1.06d Gamecube edition with it - WIiRd will be able to communicate, just do not use MEM2 addresses
-profit

Solution B:
-hardware mod your GC
-burn a Gecko OS Mini DVD..
-insert and run it
-profit

On Wii:

New Method: Gecko OS Mod!  It does not require a USB Gecko.  http://wiird.l0nk.org/forum/index.php/topic,5823.0.html

Old methods (require USB Gecko):

You can indeed use the USB Gecko to cheat game cube games.. however it is not trivial (note: the following solutions only works for USB Gecko owners):

Solutions A to C require an SD Gecko or any other SD card adapter

Solution A:
-get a very old MIOS which does not block the AR
-insert an Action replay
-use the SD Load code to boot an SD card in your SD Card Adapter (see http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload )
-run Gecko OS 1.06d Gamecube edition with it - WIiRd will be able to communicate, just do not use MEM2 addresses
-profit

Solution B:
-get the MIOS from the Super Mario Galaxy/Mario Kart Wii/Smash Bros Brawl disc
-use it to run a new Action Replay
-use its freeloader to run an old Action Replay
-use SD Load  (see http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload )
-profit

Solution C:
-get the MIOS from the Super Mario Galaxy/Mario Kart Wii/Smash Bros Brawl disc or any older MIOS
-use it to run the Datel SD Media Launcher
-profit

Solution D:
-hardware mod your Wii
-burn a Gecko OS boot disc
-insert it and use it with WiiRd
-profit

How it does not work
-GCBooter --> locks out access to the DVD drive!

Major information:
In all cases except Gecko OS Mod: Gecko OS does not have standalone cheating features - you will need a USB Gecko!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:11:08 PM by dcx2 » Logged

hetoan2
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:32:20 AM »

Before People ask where to get these files, Use Wii Update File Extractor on any of the games that have the correct MIOS *hint hint* lower than MKWII's.

http://www.wiibrew.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=title+database

they have most listed there.
gumbyscout

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 07:23:07 AM »

I notice the Gamecube Homebrew launcher wii app isn't included in this list. Is it because it doesn't work?
Link
that dev there

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:01:11 AM »

I notice the Gamecube Homebrew launcher wii app isn't included in this list. Is it because it doesn't work?

absolutely correct, Gamecube Homebrew Launcher can run Gecko OS but Gecko OS can't access the DVD drive then.

agrs700
Spanish wiird hacker
Hacker

Btw, the world will be mine soon *evil laugh*

agrs700@hotmail.com
Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »

and would be possible to use backup loader instead hadware mod my wii?

Click here to level up my brawl card

Hacking status:(Pal)
- None
gumbyscout

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »

absolutely correct, Gamecube Homebrew Launcher can run Gecko OS but Gecko OS can't access the DVD drive then.
That's what I noticed when I tried to use it, it won't spin up the disc due to how the mios is modified... Unfortuntely I've never got my AR to boot sd load, it just fails, even when I use a gamecube. I think it's due to having a european AR...

Backup loader doesn't support gamecube games yet.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:40:06 PM by gumbyscout » Logged
Link
that dev there

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:11:51 PM »

That's what I noticed when I tried to use it, it won't spin up the disc due to how the mios is modified... Unfortuntely I've never got my AR to boot sd load, it just fails, even when I use a gamecube. I think it's due to having a european AR...

A European Gamecube can use SD Load - what SD adapter do you use? SD Gecko?
The easiest way would be to get MIOS-v4 - which can be acquired using the update partition of an old game. Sometimes ARs are unbootable with even old WIis (many many European Action Replays have a US region code, thus the Wii Menu will reject them as it doesn't want to read them. However Gecko OS or Starfall will succesfully boot it for you then!).

Backup loader doesn't support gamecube games yet.

What he said! And yes there are ways.. THREE WAYS.. downgrade your MIOS and use an old Action Replay.

Igglyboo
The Greatest
Hacker

The Greatest

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 11:14:53 PM »

Nuke says he will be able to hook GC games in gecko 2.0.
It doesn't seem possible but Nuke knows a lot more about it than me.
Anyone have any idea on how he is going to accomplish this?

gumbyscout

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 12:57:19 AM »

A European Gamecube can use SD Load - what SD adapter do you use? SD Gecko?
The easiest way would be to get MIOS-v4 - which can be acquired using the update partition of an old game. Sometimes ARs are unbootable with even old WIis (many many European Action Replays have a US region code, thus the Wii Menu will reject them as it doesn't want to read them. However Gecko OS or Starfall will succesfully boot it for you then!).
I have a generic sd gecko (it says "wiikey" on it). I checked the VERY long code several times, but when I try to use it with my gamecube it just gives me a black screen, so I gave up. The sd gecko I has works fine with apps that use it on the wii.
Link
that dev there

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 10:00:41 AM »

Nuke says he will be able to hook GC games in gecko 2.0.
It doesn't seem possible but Nuke knows a lot more about it than me.
Anyone have any idea on how he is going to accomplish this?

I never said it would be impossible.. basically the main problem is.. multiple executables are run when you switch to Gamecube mode.
BC is run.. which switches parts of the hardware.. Gecko has to hook to BC.. BC initializes the MIOS.. Gecko has to hook to MIOS through BC.. MIOS runs the game.. Gecko has to hook to the game through MIOS and thrrough BC. This is not impossible. Not at all. It's just hard! That's the simple fact: it's hard.

If he accomplished it. Congratz!

Another way I personally proposed.. we see many custom MIOS floating around.. maybe he did the following: a patched MIOS which loads the Gecko codehandler - and then: the Gecko tools or WiiRd can communicate and they'll happily do!

There are multiple ways.. I only explained the currently possible!

LakituX
Hacker

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »

Solution D:
-hardware mod your Wii
-profit
By Gecko OS boot disc you mean the Gamecube Gecko OS 1.6D ISO on the download page right? Just want to make sure because I would like to use my GeckoOS on gamecube games.
Link
that dev there

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 06:42:09 AM »

Solution D:
-hardware mod your Wii
-profit
By Gecko OS boot disc you mean the Gamecube Gecko OS 1.6D ISO on the download page right? Just want to make sure because I would like to use my GeckoOS on gamecube games.

exactly that one!

hawkeye2777
Hacker

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 11:12:54 PM »

Quick question, has anyone managed to run Gamecube Gecko OS on a Gamecube using Datel's SD Media Launcher? It doesn't seem to work correctly for me (NTSC Gamecube). However, it does work fine on my Wii. Any ideas?

EDIT: I should also mention that I have managed to load Gecko OS on its own, but I cannot load it with the USB Gecko connected in Slot B.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:19:29 PM by hawkeye2777 » Logged

Currently "retired" from hacking codes.
biolizard89
Hacker

passport.10.biolizard89@spamgourmet.com biolizard89 biolizard89
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »

Quick question, has anyone managed to run Gamecube Gecko OS on a Gamecube using Datel's SD Media Launcher? It doesn't seem to work correctly for me (NTSC Gamecube). However, it does work fine on my Wii. Any ideas?

EDIT: I should also mention that I have managed to load Gecko OS on its own, but I cannot load it with the USB Gecko connected in Slot B.
I would contact Datel tech support.  They've answered my questions pretty fast (within a day).
Link
that dev there

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »

either try biolizard's suggestion or insert the USB Gecko when Gecko OS already runs.. you could even insert the USB Gecko once the game has already started.. WiiRd should run.. if you want to dump games.. just insert the USB Gecko when Gecko OS is already running

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: