Codes
WiiRd forum
May 12, 2024, 09:05:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome on the new server

Update 4.3 - do NOT update!
Gecko 1.9.3.1
Should I get a USB Gecko, I wanna hack?
How do I use my USB Gecko
Where can I get WiiRd?

Home   CODE DATABASE GAMEHACKING Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: System Menu 4.3 - 06/21/2010  (Read 131515 times)
hetoan2
Legendary Member

I hack WiFi, but I don't cheat on WiFi ;)

« on: June 22, 2010, 01:53:18 AM »

I recommend not updating at all. Lots of changes for stuff you dont need.

It deletes homebrew channel under J0DI and HAXX

Restubs a couple of IOS's that are used for cIOS and such.

New IOS80

Do not update. Wink

http://wii.marcansoft.com/wiimpersonator/reports/USA/20100622-025701.log
http://wii.marcansoft.com/wiimpersonator/reports/USA/20100622-023732.log

By the way. This update does not do anything beneficial... at all. Aside from maybe IOS80, but i dont think anyone knows what it's for. No new improved functionality that you'll notice.

Check out my site with codes obviously...
http://hetoan2.com/

and youtube...
http://youtube.com/hetoan2
TwilightErik

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:55:57 AM »

Thanks for the Update I just noticed that they didn't do a stub for IOS 224

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:09:57 AM »

Heh, for some reason I was actually thinking about this earlier today.  It's been a long time since the last update.

EDIT:  Information from Hackmii.com...

Source:  http://www.hackmii.com/2010/07/hackmii-installer-v0-7/

After more than four weeks we believe we’ve finally reached the point for the next public release of the HackMii Installer: v0.7.

A lot of changes and improvements went into this release. After quite some headaches and a few puzzles (thanks Erant!) we stockpiled over 250 commits since v0.6, increasing the compatibility with even more Wiis.

The installer now works completely differently, The Homebrew Channel got a few new features and a new look, and BootMii received a fair amount of minor improvements too.

Next to the usual minor fixes, these are the changes worth mentioning:

HackMii Installer (v0.7)

* New exploit to enable (un-) installation of all components on fully updated Wiis (up to, and including System Menu v4.3).
    * Proper support for all regions, including KOR.
    * General overhaul: the installer now requires BootMii/IOS to function. It will automatically be installed upon startup – either if BootMii/IOS is not installed or if it is older than the version this release comes with.
    * DVDX died a horrible death. Rumor has it that someone dropped a snapple bottle on its head.
    * Additional installer binary bootmini.elf, see the included README.txt for more infos.

BootMii beta 5 (v1.2):

* Compatible with more SD cards.
    * New font, borrowed from the deceased Twilight Hack.
    * The button combination when restoring a NAND backup with only BootMii/IOS was impossible to perform with some pads. It has been changed to the Konami Code.

The Homebrew Channel (v1.0.7):

* New title id to circumvent its deletion by System Menu v4.3.
    * New look from our favorite pixel artist drmr.
    * Both views now show five rows of application entries.
    * On-NAND settings.
      The selected device, sort order, view and application are saved. Settings are restored when reentering HBC.
      The settings can be deleted via the System Menu’s Data Management.
    * HBC now has the HW_AHBPROT flags set for direct hardware access, thus replacing DVDX.
    * Ability to not reload IOS when launching an application.
      This effectively means that loaded applications inherit the title id, gaining direct hardware access via HW_AHBPROT.
      To use this feature, add  <no_ios_reload/> to the <app> node in your meta.xml file.
      wiiloaded binaries automatically gain direct hardware access.
      libogc SVN (starting with r4166) has been extended for this feature. DI_Init() will detect if an application has been launched this way, and DVD access should just work without any changes to your code.
    * USB access is more stable, thanks to tueidj
    * Fixed the retry mechanism for the network initialization.
    * Fixed some rare hangs upon launch and exit (Hopefully all of them).
    * A little surprise, to be announced soon. Refrain from bugging us about it, you’ll know soon enough Wink

If you have installed HBC v1.0.7, it is safe to update your Wii to System Menu v4.3.

Please note that HBC’s update check now contains data in the referrer string unique to each Wii. Its sole purpose is for anonymous usage statistics.

Before asking questions, please read the included README files. You will also find information about how to report problems and encountered bugs.

Thanks to all the beta testers, it’s been a long ride.

Either grab the new installer here, or use the HBC online update (a confirmation dialog should pop up when launching an older version of HBC).

As always: Please link to this post instead of mirroring the binary, thanks.

Enjoy.

Source:  http://www.hackmii.com/2010/06/system-menu-4-3-update/

It’s been a quiet few months around here — Nintendo seems to have been neglecting the Wii. We expected to see a firmware update bundled with Super Mario Galaxy 2, but found no such thing — however, a few weeks later, we have ourselves a brand new 4.3 update. As usual, Nintendo describes the update as:

June 21, 2010

Wii Menu 4.3

Unauthorized Modifications

Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.3 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files. In addition, there are some behind the scenes enhancements that do not affect any prominently-used features or menus but will improve system performance.

If you are seeing “Error:004,” please click here.

What a disappointment… this is just a rehash of, well … every update in the past 2 years, except for the 4.0 update (which actually added some features). The only thing that will drive people to install this update will be the broken Shopping channel and hypothetical future games which will come with this update on disc.

Anyway, here’s the technical changelog — much of this can be seen in the last few Wiimpersonator reports.

IOS

* Fixes in all versions — the 2 exploits we were using in the HackMii Installer, as well as the /tmp bug that has existed forever and a half and been used by everyone else to downgrade IOS. Updated existing IOSes (9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 21, 22, 28, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 53, 55, 56, 57, 61)
    * Added two new IOSes — IOS80 and IOS58. IOS80 continues the trend of a new IOSx0 for each system menu, and IOS70 was stubbed out. IOS58 was previously only found on one disc, and is interesting because it contains an EHCI (USB2.0)
    * Added a stub IOS that will finally overwrite BootMii/IOS with a higher version number.

System Menu

* Updated to block title IDs — HAXX, JODI, DISC, DISK
    * Updated to *really* block Bannerbomb – shows Error 004 now

So there’s nothing interesting at all in this update. Just the usual bugfixes. They do get credit this time to actually block exploits. The Bannerbomb block seems to be stable this time and they didn’t leave our privilege escalation exploit unfixed like in the last update.

We’re currently working on new exploits and a new release of the HackMii installer but we’ll spend some more time to obfuscate our exploits this time to make it harder for ninty to find and fix them. It might therefore take some more time until our next release.
Just don’t update – there’s nothing interesting in this update anyway.

EDIT:  Information from Wiibrew.org about the 4.3 System Menu...

Source:   http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/System_Menu_4.3

Changes

* Deletes the Homebrew Channel and DVDX, title IDs HAXX, DVDX, JODI, DISC, and DISK.
    * Now uses IOS80.
    * IOS254 stubbed BootMii is deleted.
    * Fixed Bannerbomb less stupidly this time.
    * Added IOS58.
    * HackMii Installer Userland+Syscall IOS exploit removed
    * NANDFS privilege escalation fixed
    * ES_AddTitleFinish now checks the signature(Trucha Bug Restorer and similar won't work anymore)

What to do

* Don't update yet.

Also, here is some information from the Nintendo website about it...

Source:  http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/systemMenuFeatures.jsp

Wii Menu 4.3

Unauthorized Modifications
Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.3 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files. In addition, there are some behind the scenes enhancements that do not affect any prominently-used features or menus but will improve system performance.

If you are seeing "Error:004," please click here.

Apparently, as stated in the original post, all that it does is remove things related to exploits for the Wii console.

EDIT:  Interesting explanation from Nintendo about "Error:004"...

Source:  http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/error004.jsp

Wii Error:004

The error code you received indicates the system is attempting to load unauthorized software. Unauthorized modifications to save data or program files may impair game play or the Wii console and should be removed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:42:10 PM by 111 » Logged
justin28

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:12 AM »

Will this block the gamecube action replay.  The gamecube action replay i have works on system menu 4.2e

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:30:34 AM »

The 4.3 System Menu doesn't update the MIOS, so the GameCube Action Replay should still work on it (unless the System Menu looks for it).
Link
that dev there

I hate everyone in this community. Except for you!

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:16:24 AM »

I also checked the update log.. nothing worth upgrading to me.. it only seems to fix IOS security holes and as of such no reason to upgrade. I stick to 4.1!

Romaap
Hacker
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 07:29:12 AM »

The only new function I see is the USB camera support for some kind of game, but this is included in IOS58 and not in the system menu so still no need to update cause you can still install the IOS.
WiiPower
Hacker

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »

The update also doesn't touch IOS236. But it fixes at least one of the exploits that Trucha Bug Restorer is using, so maybe there will never be an updated TBR.

Everybody who updates to 4.3 and still wants to use homebrew is stupid. If there's any need to update, it will be figured out in the next days and a method to update without loosing homebrew. This time it won't be as easy as the last time as bannerbomb may be gone forever.
Link
that dev there

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 01:37:34 PM »

I still wonder.. no new features.. nothing.. just security upgrades? Really?

They spent 9 months on an update without any features? Either they are really going insane or well.. maybe they really worked out 9 months of security.. meaning it will take 9 days until it's broken Wink . Well, so far, I'd say, Europeans and Japanese lack an exploit (US people have the (probably) unfixable Stack Smash) - or did they (again) forget to fix Indiana Pwns? I do not see a log saying that it was fixed but it would be really stupid if they forgot that!

I know I know the Hackmii installer does not work and whatever.. but yeah, as long as an exploit for running homebrew exists it basically "only" (okay, make that a major only) a new installer work-around!

Romaap
Hacker
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »

Someone on 'a certain website' confirmed that Stack Smash and Indiana Pwns still work.
Deathwolf
Hacker
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »

lol did you really think, nintendo doesn't fix it?
I think nintendo is not sooo stupid.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:47:55 PM by Deathwolf » Logged

lolz
Link
that dev there

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 01:55:46 PM »

Someone on 'a certain website' confirmed that Stack Smash and Indiana Pwns still work.

Well, I do not wonder abotu Stack Smash.. Stack Smash is literally unfixable given the Wii's internal way of working.. Indiana Pwns would have been fixable.. but well.. may I laugh..

I do anyway  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Evil

Deathwolf
Hacker
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »

but it's a ntsc hack and not pal!?

lolz
Link
that dev there

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »

but it's a ntsc hack and not pal!?

Stack Smash is US only.. but Indiana Pwns is cross-region!

dcx2
Computer Engineer
Legendary Member

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »

Remember everyone, even though you bought the Wii hardware with your money, and you buy the games with your money, you don't actually own any of it.  You're licensing it from Nintendo.  That is why they are allowed to get rid of these "unauthorized" modifications - as if something that *I* did to *MY* Wii was "unauthorized".

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: